Friday 20 February 2015

My Tips For Writing

DISCIPLINING YOURSELF AS A WRITER  

Thinking about the experience with writing Innocence and how d
edicated I was to the series, really showed me how much I dedicate my special time with these characters and how I enjoyed writing about these amazing people.

Now I am a writer who writes of the cuff, I never plan, I never know which direction the book will be going and I certainly never know what the endings will be. Innocence the first book of the series was originally going to be a one off, but turned into four novels.

During writing the series I self-disciplined myself into giving all my spare time I possibly could, wherever I travelled my laptop followed, as well as my back up mini laptop, know when I say came everywhere I don't mean shopping or to doctors etc, what I am referring to is when my husband goes fishing I like to sit in the car, lappy on lap and write in the true peace and quiet as I do struggle at times with my noisy neighbours and there is nothing better then the sound of birds singing.  Or I follow my hubby when he is taking part in model railway shows he demonstrates up and down the country his craft at  building model trains. I sit out the way blank the noise around me out and write, write, write.
 
For Innocence it was written pretty much all over the country and due to my determination and passion for the series it followed me.

Now I know as a writer, it can be hard to find the time to write, especially when you have other commitments elsewhere and finding the time to write just a few words is like pulling teeth. I work 12 hour shifts and once home all I have time to do is check e-mails, glance at Facebook, twitter, google+  and other social media sites and then I have to head to bed feeling totally shattered. It is hard and sometimes impossible to write and feel like your hitting your head against a brick wall. So what works for me doesn't always work for others, some weeks are less hectic than others, with family and friends to fit in (which is always a pleasure) shopping, cleaning (which I hate) running here there and everywhere, and even if I manage to try and write a paragraph it helps, I feel I did something.

As a writer and published and loving the fact I have achieved my dream, makes me more determined every day to try and do something in my little writing world, whether it's plotting, researching, editing, re-reads or reading another authors book, it all contributes to the right step forward.

 My tips.

READ...READ...READ.
TRY AND WRITE SOMETHING EVERYDAY.
EDUCATE YOURSELF ON WRITING.
IF YOU LOVE WRITING DO IT.
HAVE CHARACTERS ANNOYING YOU! WRITE THEM DOWN EXPLORE A WHOLE NEW WORLD, trust me the satisfaction is ace.
SPEAK TO OTHER WRITERS, get help and advice, I am lucky to have Secret Cravings Publishing to mail for any advice and people to talk to in their private group, there is always help.
AND FINALLY
SET YOURSELF A TASK, DEADLINE, not meaning the endings of the book but a particular scene, when I'm writing most of the time I end up carrying on and go with the flow, as once you get going there is no stopping you.


Whatever your writing or whatever your goal is enjoy! 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment